Sunday 27 January 2013

.... and then the rains came.




Here in Brisbane, we have been enjoying  the fading end of ex tropical cyclone Oswald, which has been whipping up severe winds and dumping torrents of rain on us. Flood waters around Queensland are raising, and Brisbane is no exception.

It isn't as severe in Brisbane as it was in 2011, but things here have been a little bit rough. The high winds combined with the heavy rain, along with the unexpected addition of a series of tornadoes, has however made the last 36 hours quite entertaining.

So, I grabbed an on-hand typewriter an tapped out a typecast before I had breakfast this morning.


Pine river flooded rapidly as they dumped water from the dam, as the tide in the bay pushed a storm surge back up river. 

We crossed through this flooded section of the road yesterday before we came across an even deeper flooded road that was risky to cross.  Just for reference, the river is off to the left. That section to the right is a flooded gully.

16 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear, Scott, do keep safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well.... I guess if you live here, you learn to deal with it. Feeling a bit kinda trapped in my house thought.

      Delete
  2. At least you're well-prepared on the retro tech front. Stay safe and heed those warnings! I lived in severe-weather country for a time and have had my share of avoiding nature's wrath. Here's hoping she can find a balance between typhoon and oven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes! Actually, I have been putting the time to VERY good use. The results of which you'll see soon.

      Delete
  3. Wow, weather. That's something we don't get much of in the desert. Good luck to you and your fellow townsfolk - may you weather the weather safely. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've survived it. Don't know what I'm going to do with this fallen tree in the front yard though. But we'll see.

      Delete
  4. Here's hoping you stay safe. I keep having dreams about my house getting flooded; am I channeling Australia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man.... Plastic wrap those machines now! You might very well have been Richard.

      Delete
  5. That's intimidating! Stay safe, Scott!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to have mostly passed.... The flood waters around the CBD are at their peak as I write, so now it is just back to cleaning up again.

      Delete
  6. We lost our little wattle tree too, I am looking for the chain-saw to tidy it up. Just for a contrast it was very hot and sunny to-day, Queensland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh... Unfortunately I don't have one I can lend you! I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with this tree as it is.

      Delete
  7. Your posts about inclement weather are always well-written and exciting, but hopefully not TOO exciting.

    I'm glad that you are safe!

    I had to post this comment using Safari; Firefox continues to be a problem. The page refreshes with a blank comment field.

    Interesting that this happens on only a few Blogger blogs. So far, just yours and "Life in a Typewriter Shop", and Joe Van Cleave's blog. All the rest seem fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cameron! It has mostly passed now, so the cleanup is to begin. The whole city smells a bit at the moment, but that was to be expected.

      Delete
    2. Not sure what is going on with Firefox there. Have you done a recent update? Or is there a plug-in causing woes?

      Delete
    3. Cameron, I've had this issue in Safari and Iron/Chrome.
      My workaround is as following: Click "Reply" under another comment - a comment field opens. Then, click "Add comment" in the bottom - now, the regular comment field should open.

      Delete